Re: RARA-AVIS: bleak and broken cities

Fred Willard (rainwill@mindspring.com)
Wed, 8 Oct 1997 15:28:54 +0000 > In a message to RARA-AVIS Myshmysh writes:

> Neither do I, for that matter, and Cali has never seemed bleak to me on my
> occasional sojourns to that state. However, Atlanta, where I currently
> reside, is a nasty little town (I am encouraged by the recent citations of
> books set here; I am in pursuit . . .).

I certainly have found my muse of dereliction and despair in Atlanta.
I think the city has many of the same elements of incongruity,
conflict and decay that drove many of the sensibility of the early
hard-boiled writers.

Here, you have the basic problems of poverty, racism, and agrarian
collapse with an overlay of the mobile middle class spending money
right and left, wild ass development and, to liven things up even
futher, a nice collection of boom town psychos.

I don't think we are alone in this profile, but some places are a
little nastier than others.

Of course, some very great noir fiction has been written about sleepy
little backwaters where nothing was going on but a lot of no good.

Anyone see the film "Diggstown?"

Maybe we should have a contest: Why the place I live is a great
location for hard-boiled fiction. The loser will be forced to write a
hard-boiled novel.

Fred