RE: RARA-AVIS: Yahoo

Fred Willard (rainwill@mindspring.com)
Fri, 3 Oct 1997 22:39:06 +0000 On 3 Oct 97 at 8:34, Spurlock, Duane wrote:

> I read "Down on Ponce" a couple of weeks ago and thought it was a
> hoot.
>
> Tough, darkly humorous, strange characters and disgusting habits. I
> think RARA-AVIS members will enjoy it.
>
> How can any hardboiled film fan not appreciate a character named Sam
> Fuller?

Thanks. I really appreciate your comments. As this is my first book,
hearing people say nice things about it is very reassuring.

I wasn't sure how many people would pick up on Sam Fuller.

> POSSIBLE SPOILER FOR THOSE WHO HAVEN'T READ THE BOOK YET
> * *
> *
> *
> *
> *
> *
> *
> *
> *
> *
> *
> *
> *
> *
> *
> *
> *
>

> My only real quibble with the novel came when the lady lawyer so
> whoe-heartedly joined the gang of misfits for their getaway from the
> hotel. Despite some of the preceding shenanigans and the environment
> that you set up so excellently for the book and its characters, this
> event stretched my suspension of disbelief a little too far. Maybe
> she had a love jones for Bug, but her willingness to eagerly join in
> on what she expected to be lawless activity just isn't consistent
> with her previous characterization.

The way I saw it was her attraction for Bug was based on common
sociopathic tendancies. Bug simply gave her the idea that it was okay
to express amorality outside of the practice of law.

I'm really proud of the book, but it was a first novel. I learned a
lot about the craft of writing from doing it that will hopefully be
applied to the second one. I'm about a week from finishing the first
draft of that one.

Thanks again for you kind words, Fred