Re: RARA-AVIS: hardboiled book discussion group

Mike Laughrin (vedic-astrologer@easyon.com)
Fri, 03 Oct 1997 10:43:32 -0400 Mari Hall wrote:

> Mike Laughrin wrote:
> >
> > Dear List,
> > I am an avid reader of hardboiled mysteries. To my best estimate,
> > I have read about 2000 of them. Each week I read anywhere from 1 to 4
> > books, and most of them are hardboiled.
> > Is there a forum for discussing hardboiled novels? Is this it?
> > The reason I ask is that when I go to the library or the bookstore, I
> > often have difficulty in finding new books to read that I will like as I
> > have already read a great deal of them. I would welcome any suggestions
> > in line (more or less) with my taste. Also, I am happy to make
> > recommendations to other who are addicted to "tough-guy" books.
> > Here are some of the authors who I have read and liked:
> > 1. Robert Parker
> > 2. Dick Francis
> > 3. Sara Paretsky
> > 4. Sue Grafton
> > 5. Greg McDonald
> > 6. Joseph Wambaugh
> > 7. John MacDonald
> >
> > I should add that I do not much care for horror fiction. I prefer the
> > chase to the killing.
> > Thanks much for your ideas.
> > Sincerely,
> > Michael Laughrin
> > vedic-astrologer@easyon.com
> > #
> > # To unsubscribe, say "unsubscribe rara-avis" to majordomo@icomm.ca.
> > # The web pages for the list are at http://www.vex.net/~buff/rara-avis/.
>
> At the risk of offending, you sound more like a "medium-boil" :) :) <g>
> (is this enough ha,ha's??) Do you know about Andrew Vachss?? He is the
> top (IMHO) of the hard-boiled list. Bill Pronzini who has written the
> "Nameless" series (you go all through the series [many many books] and
> the lead character never is "named". If you like British Noir, you might
> like the Derek Raymond books called "the Factory series". Also there was
> series, and the author's name escapes me, but it was about Petrella and
> one of the titles was "Petrella at Q" which is also Brit. My best
> suggestion is also to thumb throught the book of short stories that was
> read here recently called "Hard Boiled" by the aforementioned Pronzini
> and see what stories are included, that will give you some start as to
> authors who also write novel-length fiction. Try Patricia Highsmith's
> "Ripley" series (all have "Ripley" in the titles) one or maybe the whole
> series was the basis for Alfred Hitchcock's "Rope" movie. I'm sure it's
> going to be "off with her head" BUT I tend to like the British and
> European Noir. and before I forget -- try James Elroy - with the upsurge
> of LA CONFIDENTIAL my local (the nearest used bookstore) says they can't
> keep copies in stock. Happy reading!
> >From Mari Hall Found.Dead.In.Texas@airmail.net
> #
> # To unsubscribe, say "unsubscribe rara-avis" to majordomo@icomm.ca.
> # The web pages for the list are at http://www.vex.net/~buff/rara-avis/.
Dear Mari,
Thanks much for your prompt and clever response. I have already
read most of James Ellroy's books. There are few, if any, British
authors that I liked. I will, however, try the ones you mentioned. I
read a lot of Pronzini about 10 years ago, and got a little tired of
him. I also like the Detroit "tough-guy" writers - Elmore Leonard and
Loren Estleman. Andrew Vachss I both love and loathe at the same time.
I have read about 5 of his oevres. I have also found James Lee Burke to
be greatly to my liking.
Love your e-mail address.
Sincerely,
Michael Laughrin