Re: RARA-AVIS: Enough, already!

michael david sharp (msharp@umich.edu)
Fri, 1 Aug 1997 10:09:30 -0400 (EDT) Two things before I run out the door to Pennsylvania (helping a friend
move).

A. Chandler (as I've said before), while not a professor, was totally
academic.

B. He also certainly had a sense of "class consciousness" (which doesn't
make him Marxist, though I don't dismiss out of hand all Marxist-seeming
points of view). Please read "The Simple Art of Murder" to see what I
mean. You can be a fan (i.e. like the stories for the entertainment value)
and be analytical, even intellectual. They are not mutually exclusive. So
perhaps it's possible to offer your opinions/interpretations w/o
denigrating those of others. Don't like what you read? Hit delete.

ps Adrian calls Craig's writing "misogynist." Is that an inappropriately
"academic" assertion?

Michael D. Sharp, Dept. of English, University of Michigan
(msharp@umich.edu)

#