Re: RARA-AVIS: Enough, already!

Fred Willard (rainwill@mindspring.com)
Fri, 1 Aug 1997 09:28:52 +0000 On 1 Aug 97 at 8:57, Dan Sontup wrote:

> Sorry, Fred. I had not meant to offend by my "PhD" remark. Guess I
> got carried away a little there trying to make my point. Speaking
> as both a writer and reader of hard-boiled fiction, I must admit
> that I never delved too deeply into any moralistic distinctions or
> class consciousness, etc. But that's only my way (although, as I
> said, I had not heard this sort of talk from other writers "way back
> then"). I, too, want only friendly discussions here, and look
> forward to many more of them.

Dan,

No problem at all. I really wasn't offended. I only thought that
since I was new to this list, I should explain where I was coming
from with the intitial question.

If I had seen my posts on a different day (assuming I hadn't written
them) I may have had a similar reaction.

I think one reason you didn't have to talk about the history of the
genre "way back then," is that you were in the process of making
that history. Believe me, this is something I have a lot of repsect
for.

Not being a part of back then, I have to look at several
generations of HB writers before me and consider what I can learn
from them and how I can use it.

I look forward to further discussions as well.

Thanks,