[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: RARA-AVIS: "Red Wind": Never the whole truth.

I think Bill Hagen has hit on something fascinating in his comparison of
Philip Marlowe to Charlie Marlow:  I bet a reading of the major Chandler
novels in conjunction with Conrad's four Marlow stories would reveal that
the two heroes have a *lot* in common wrt their ethics, idealism, and
ambivalent view of women.  In particular, looking at the many
generalizations Marlow makes about women in _Chance_ and comparing them to
the conduct of Chandler's hero could produce a nice essay with a kind of
"Masculintiy in Literature" theme.  I wonder whether it's been done?
--Josh Lukin

-
# to majordomo@icomm.ca