[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RARA-AVIS: Red Wind: homoerotics & other readings

There's some interesting stuff coming out of the 'Red Wind' thread,
though I hope that traffic will not concentrate on commenting on my
suggested reading to the neglect of other areas.
Apologies too for the line wrap!
Dunno what happened---I'll hit return more.
That said, I'd like to respond to some points made in the last digest:

On  Thu, 29 May 1997, Jerry Silverman <silvrmn@enteract.com> wrote:

[SNIP]
>has "a string of pearls" always had an alternative masturbatory meaning?
>Or is this relatively recent (or more recent than "Red Wind")?

AFAIK, 'string of pearls' isn't a phrase used to describe masturbation.

Roger Dowdy <dowdy@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

>Sorry. Perhaps I have blinders on but I just not seeing it.

This is how I read the closing scene {yes, it is quite
subjective and interpretive, but hey---that's reading):

Dalmas goes to sit on his rock and slips the pears off the string,
then he recalls:

'I flipped her pearls out into the water one by one'

The implied motion, of a hand and arm moving back and forth,
tossing the pearls 'one by one', suggests a motion not dissimilar to
that of solo male masturbation.

The, uh, icing on the cake, so to speak, is the continuous plip-plip
of the pearls arcing out of Dalmas's hand into the sea.  The colour
and trajectory of the pearls is, I would suggest, evocative of ejaculatory
spurts of semen.

While this symbolic 'wank' is taking place, Dalmas is, he tells us,
thinking of Stan Phillips---he even utters his Phillip's name aloud as
the 'pearls' begin to fly.

Meanwhile, michael d sharp wrote:

> What Chandler's stories demonstrate (duggan may have said this in
>other words) is the homoerotics of conventional, heterosexual masculinity.

I didn't <I wish I had though> --- but it's a point well made.  I think I
came
across a similar point in reading about pornography: 'straight' males can
'check out' other in males in pornography, while their homerotic fears are
allayed by the female presence.

Though "H. Curtiss Leung" <hleung@prolifics.com> has me bang to rights:

>OK...but this line of reasoning seems to simply replace "intention"
>with "libido"  within the same interpretative scheme; it still
hypostatizes an
>aspect of meaning.

Indeedy --- but imo it's fun/rewarding/pleasantly polyvalent to 'open up'
texts and
look at a range of possible meanings.  The meanings and interstices of
meaning
might tell us more about the *readers* than the text, but readings are
negotiated,
I would maintain, between the terms  reader::text::context.

So while I'm glad Curtiss agrees that :

>There's no denying the erotic and homoerotic aspects of Chandler's prose
[...]

Sure, it's one way to read Chandler, albeit narrow, speculative and tending

toward biographical/freudian

> but they're not its "foundation."

Well, I don't know about this 'foundation' stuff---that takes us back to
intention.
BTW, the suggestions to look to _TLG_ might be followed bearing in mind
that
this _TLG_ was written much later (1953) than the other novels; AFAIK, it
wasn't
'cannibalised' and, by this time, RC was aware that there was some
'criticism'
of Marlowe as being a bit 'faggy' [the term is mine]  I don't have specific