[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: RARA-AVIS: Red Wind: homoerotics & mastubatory closure

Dear Prof. Eddie,

I really, really like your <take> on this.  Just because a writer
doesn't acknowledge something in his writing doesn't mean it isn't
there.  But we still need to be careful about interpreting his work in
1997 terms.  For instance, has "a string of pearls" always had an
alternative masturbatory meaning?  Or is this relatively recent (or more
recent than "Red Wind")?  If so, was Chandler coining a phrase?  Somehow
I don't think this is likely.  Must have been in use at the time of his
writing it for him to use it in the masturbatory sense on purpose (or by
Freudian accident), doncha' think?

Jerry "I Will Spill No Seed Before Its Time" Silverman

-
# to majordomo@icomm.ca