[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RARA-AVIS: Red Wind

Reading it for the first time I was struck by the unlikely, yet
important enough to be acknowledged, influence of Maugham.  Not only is
the pearl business reminiscent, Maugham's lines, too, reverberate in
Chandler's conclusion.  Maugham's Mr. Kellada says "No one likes being
made a perfect damned fool", while tearing the envelope into little
[pearl-like?] bits and asking the narrator to throw them out the
port-hole.   Of course, Chandler's strength and charm is the language,
the dialogue, the descriptions, but I certainly would have had a hard
time, until now, picturing Chandler sitting down and enjoying Maugham.
I, BTW, still do not see the conclusion of Red Wind as masturbatory at
all.  But, chacun a son goutte.
Andrew
-
# to majordomo@icomm.ca