[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: RARA-AVIS: Red Wind: homoerotics & mastubatory closure

Gary Warren Niebuhr wrote:

> Eddie wrote:
> >narrative closure is marked by the masturbatory image
> >of a lone / lonely Dalmas tossing 'pearls' into the sea 'in memory'
> of Stan.
>
> I have always wondered if the above is true, did the author
> intentionally layer all of this into his short story, or is this just
> stuff we see that he never intended. I remember a Walter Mosley
> interview once where someone said something similar to Walter, and
> after the guy had run down, Walter told him he was crazy. Maybe we
> read way to much into this stuff sometimes. Did pulp story writers
> have the time to think this deep about a short story?
>
> P. I. E. S. (Private Investigator Entertainment Service)
> A Catalogue of New and Used Private Eye Fiction
> <http://www.execpc.com/~piesbook/piescatalog.html>
> Gary Warren Niebuhr
> P. O. Box 341218
> Milwaukee, WI 53234
> U. S. A. - # RARA-AVIS: To unsubscribe, say "unsubscribe rara-avis" #
> to majordomo@icomm.ca
I was wondering along the same lines as Gary.  I thought pulp fiction
was written for quick entertainment for the masses and quick money for
the author.  I think maybe we are reading too much into the stories.
Can you imagine what your 1960's or earlier English Lit teacher would
have given you for a grade if you suggested that pulp fiction was even
literature?? I know what mine would have done.
Michaela
-
# to majordomo@icomm.ca