[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RARA-AVIS: Marlowe vs. Previous Characters

Good afternoon fellow list members,
I recently received a piece of e-mail discussing with me
that even though J. Dalmas is in Red Wind before
Marlowe is that the character should be Marlowe anyway.
(and that all of the characters are Chandler himself -plausible).
What came first, the chicken or the egg? In other words
Who came 1st Marlowe or Dalmas or other leading characters?
Secondly, does it really matter? Chandler knew at some point
in time that Marlowe was his main man, his bread and butter.
That's probably why the older pulp stories were redone with
Marlowe - he sold more copies because he was popular
(either more with Chandler or with the fans or both).

The main point is : We have a hero and stories to enjoy with
more stories re-written so that we could continue to enjoy
Marlowe.

QUESTION 1 : Does anyone know if any more Marlowe novels will
be written? I don't think that Robert B. Parker will have the time
to write any (he's putting out Spenser novels every Spring and has
a new series featuring Jesse Stone coming out every Fall starting
this year.).

QUESTION 2 :  Who could write an acceptable Marlowe novel
right now?

Later, Paul.
-
# to majordomo@icomm.ca