[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: RARA-AVIS: _Hardboiled America_ and writer biographies

Woolrich's life was pretty pathetic, living with his mom and what not. But
mostly I don't care much about writers' lives. To quote Chandler:

"Why do people want biographical material? Why does it matter? And why
does a writer have to talk about himself as a person? It's all such a
bore."

His letter to Edgar Carter, Feb. 5, 1951, is a hilarious parodic response
to The Picture Post, which wanted info about Chandler's life. It begins,
"Yes, I am exactly like the characters in my books."

The Thompson biography is great, though.

Michael D. Sharp, Dept. of English, University of Michigan
(msharp@umich.edu)