[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RARA-AVIS: "Red Wind"

On Sat, 17 May 1997, Joshua B Lukin <jblukin@acsu.buffalo.edu> wrote:

>I remember having read somewhere that Chandler originally gave the
>detectives of his novellas other names, then after the success of his
>novels retrofitted "Marlowe" into the novellas for the collected editions.
>Does anyone know whether that's the case for "Red Wind"--i.e. did the
>original magazine version have a different detective?

I don't know about this renaming of characters at all---but without wanting
to pre-empt the 'Red Wind' discussion that's still a week away---the name
of the character in 'Red Wind' is John Dalmas
(that, btw, is the copy of 'Red Wind' included in the collection _Trouble
is my Business_).

Eddie Duggan
-
# to majordomo@icomm.ca