[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RARA-AVIS: Plan for the reading group.

On Wed, 14 May 1997, michael david sharp wrote:

: I believe Mr. Denton was the man designated with throwing out the
: first pitch, as it were.  What are we reading, Bill, and when do we
: start? Or am I mistakenly conferring power on you?

Well, I said I'd collect suggestions to start off, and I think by now
everyone who had one has sent one in.

Mentioned were:

"Red Wind" by Raymond Chandler (in _Trouble Is My Business_)
_Hard Boiled_ by Adrian and Pronzini
_Trouble Is My Business_ (Chandler)
_The Drowning Pool_ (Ross Macdonald)
_The Maltese Falcon_ (Dashiell Hammett)
_Red Harvest_ (Hammett)
_Farewell, My Lovely_ (Chandler)
_The High Window_ (Chandler)
_The Lady in the Lake_ (Chandler)

Collection of Chandler/Marlowe pastiches by Knopf
Andrew Vachss
Mickey Spillane
Gary Lovisi
Stephen Solimita

The general consensus, as I think Eddie mentioned, was for "Red Wind"
and _Hard Boiled_.  Starting off with short stories sounds like a good
idea to me, and both books shouldn't be too hard to find.  At least,
not for people who don't have a hard time finding books in English.
(People who can't get them will either have to wish, or hope someone
has a scanner, OCR software, and some spare time.)

To give people time to collect the stories, how about we aim to have
"Red Wind" and the first story in the anthology read by the end of
next week, so we can start in on them Monday 26 May?  Then we could do
two stories a week after that.  We will either slowly work our way
through the book, or get tired of it in a month or two and go on to
something else.  We don't want to go too fast, nor too slow, and two
stories a week doesn't sound like too much.  As I remember, some of
the stories in the anthology are longish, and some are quite short,
but there's nothing you couldn't polish off on a subway trip to work
and back.

Sound OK?

Bill
--