[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RARA-AVIS: Re: library mission v. collectors

In discussions of public libraries vs. private collectors there is
frequently an implicit assumption that the public/institutional libraries do
a superior job of conservation and preservation.  This is not a valid a
priori assumption.  In some notable cases, just the opposite has been the
case.  And it does not follow that poor conservation and preservation by
libraries is a consequence of making special collections readily available
to the public --- it is not uncommon that libraries have achieved the worst
of both worlds:  important materials which are poorly kept, poorly
conserved, poorly inventoried and quite unavailable to the public.  Some of
you special collections librarians should step up to the plate and publicly
aire some of the inside dirt of your profession.  Is the whining I'm hearing
here (and have heard before) really just the lupine ego of a private
collector in the sheep's clothing of a special collections librarian with a
cloak of representing-the-public-interest rationalization? The book and
manuscript Priests forced to compete with the heretics --- oh, its a cruel
world indeed...

Daniel P. Wirt

-
# to majordomo@icomm.ca