[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: RARA-AVIS: Honey West.

On Tue, 6 May 1997, Matt Stevens wrote:

>From what I've heard, the HW stories
> sound a lot like the Sheldon Scott novels by Richard Prather
(which can
> be found in almost any used book store for about $1 a piece).
They're
> kind of fun, if you don't mind a lot of double entendre and
> Eisenhower-era sex jokes.

This Girl For Hire is in fact dedicated to Tina and Richard Prather, and
to Shell Scott, "who can play house with Honey any old time!" "Kind of
fun" is about right, and "Eisenhower-era sex jokes" is a good way to
describe what passes for humor in the book. But its datedness can make it
quite an amusing read. Honey is always on the verge of nudity, though
there is no sex in any of the books I've read so far.  I find this sort of
attempted titillation kinda cute.

Michael D. Sharp, Dept. of English,
University of Michigan
(msharp@umich.edu)