[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RARA-AVIS: Mickey Spillane

I don't know whether I should feel guilty or not, but I like Mickey
Spillane's books.  I grant the case against him--a near-fascist
attitude, a haphazard sense of plotting, Neanderthal attitudes
toward women--

and yet . . .

and yet . . .

Spillane's books have a genuine earthiness to them, and working-stiff
-as-author feel that make them somehow less contrived than books by
intellectuals like Chandler and Ross Macdonald  (yes, I love their
books too, but often their education shows through where it needn't).
 Spillane also has a marvelous narrative drive and an occasional
poetic sense of description.

Was it Spillane who once said that no one in his books drinks cognac
or has a mustache, because he can't spell those words?

Spillane is, himself, a nice guy.  Some years ago, I wrote to him and
he kindly inscribed my copies of his books.

Doug
-
# to majordomo@icomm.ca