[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

No Subject

Gary Warren Niebuhr <piesbook@execpc.com> writes:
****
>Here are three books that I have read and enjoyed lately.

<<snip>>

>Connelly, Michael.  TRUNK MUSIC. c1996.  California, Los Angeles.  Harry
>Bosch #5.

>What can you count on in a Harry Bosch tale?  Something normal in the world
>of the criminous will explode into something convoluted.  Only LAPD
>homicide detective Harry Bosch will care, but it will cost him dearly.
>......<<snip>...... Pretty powerful stuff that
>has worked in all of the novels in the series so far.  In TRUNK MUSIC, the
>basic plot revolves around a hit which most likely was caused by an L. A.
>movie producer's attempts to launder Las Vegas mob money.  Fans of the
>series will be stunned to see Eleanor Wish's return.  No one who has read
>and enjoyed Bosch before could be disappointed.  Anyone who has not read
>the series should start with book one and discover one of the best American
>crime writers.

*****

Let me second the above.

Trunk Music is quite good, and got me started reading the
rest of Bosch tales. Still working on them. ... I think the
reader could read the Black Echo, in which Eleanor Wish is
introduced, and then Trunk Music; i.e., not necessarily
novels 1 to 5 in order. Then circle back for the rest.

Eleanor really does stay in your thoughts, after the book
is put down. Lovely lady; a sinner, and sinned against.

The Bosch character reminds me a lot of Lew Archer. Many
similarities -- it's got to be intentional on Connelly's part.
Eleanor Wish reminds me, for some reason, of Mrs. Wycherly, one
of Archer's femme fatales. (cf, The Wycherly Woman, one of my
favorite Archer stories).

The Bosch series is terrific so far. Connelly looks fairly
young, from the dust jacket. Maybe we will get this kind of
writing from him for a long time.

Joe Brady

-
# to majordomo@icomm.ca