[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RARA-AVIS: Consider Rex Stout.

  Consider Rex Stout and his Nero Wolfe novels. Hardboiled? Hardly.

  ....But then...On another level maybe. I look at them as mostly as
in a class by themself. The class I would put them in is I would say
green. Green, if you think of the cozy or classic mystery as yellow
and the hard-boiled mystery as blue, and just like those baggies when
you mix yellow and blue you get green.

  Nero is everything you would could want in a classic/cozy mystery,
Archie would fit right in most any hard-boiled story. Most of the
stories angle strongly in the direction of the cozy, League of
Frighten Men etc, but others such as The Doorbell Rang would fit
well enough into the hard-boiled end of the tent. So, I at least
would conclude...hard-boiled  no. ...cozy  no. But something taking a
little from both while being nether.

  It's a thought anyway. What are yours?
-
# to majordomo@icomm.ca