[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RARA-AVIS: Two questions and a comment.

First, does anyone have to have a listing of the stories in Pronzini
and Adrian's _Hard Boiled_ anthology (or _Hard-Boiled_, or
_Hardboiled_)?  Also, does Gutman actually call the Falcon a "rara
avis" in the book?  I looked through it a couple of times, going over
the scenes with the fat man, and couldn't see it.  Does he in fact
only say this in the movie?

Now, the comment: I read _His Name Was Death_ the other day.  It's the
first Frederic Brown novel I've read (I've read a number of his short
stories, like the "It's a cookbook!" one).  This was a delight to
read.  Crisp writing, nifty plot, some neat twists and a great ending.
Nice portrayal of average Joes and Janes in post-war times, as well as
one guy who thinks he can murder without getting caught.  I'm going to
find more of his books.  Is there any one in particular I should look
for?

Bill
--
   William Denton : Toronto, Canada : buff@vex.net : Caveat lector.