[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: RARA-AVIS:UK hardboiled

> Also:  Robin Cook  (not to be confused with the writer with the same name,
> involved with nurses, who is American and  a  second rate suspense writer)
> Violent, cynical, somber with a style,construction and characters of his
> own. A great writer who was denied recognition in the English/American
> domain, even in his own country!

AKA Derek Raymond, who's already been mentioned.  I had great hopes for
Raymond (Cook) when I first heard about him; I bought the four books in
his "Factory" series at import prices (as well as non-series books _The
Crust on its Uppers_ and _A State of Denmark_), and then read _He Died
With His Eyes Open_ and could barely get through it. His writing style
was stilted, and was littered with bizarre rhyming slang (I had to use
the glossary in _The Crust on its Uppers_ to make any sense of it.  I
suspect that he made up alot of it.)  The plot was pathetically thin.
I'm not in a hurry to go any further.

Jim Stephenson
-
# to majordomo@icomm.ca