[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: RARA-AVIS: Hardboiled and Noir again and again and again...

It's always seemed to me that noir was a moveable feast, i.e. it's not
necessarily crime fiction. What it seems to be is the antithesis of the
'history is written by the winners' view of the world. Noir is almost always
history from the point of the losers. English noir (Patrick Hamilton, for
example) is obsessed with class, because class is what drives English society
- sex money and power are subservient to position. Characters in US noir are
obsessed with sex, money and power for their own sakes.

******** Commercial Break (or special offer - please yourselves ********

On a previous list I introduced myself as co-editor (with my wife) of Crime
Time, a UK magazine about crime fiction.

If any North American Rara-avis subscribers would like to try it, you can get
an issue for the cost of postage, which I'm told is $1.00 (hey, sue me if I'm
wrong) to

Firebird Distributing
1945 P Street
Eureka
CA 95501
Contact: Greg Shepard

Tel 707 444 1434
Fax 707 444 8537

They are our NA distributor. In the last few issues we've had interviews with
James Ellroy, Walter Mosley, Patricia Cornwell... the list goes on. Loads of
book reviews, history etc. Universally praised, as they say. The latest has a
very long interview with Val McDermid, Ian Rankin, Michael Connelly, Daniel
Woodrell and others, but won't be over there yet.

************* Thus ends the commercial. *********************

Peter Dillon-Parkin
Crime Time

-