[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: RARA-AVIS: Noir/hardboiled

On Thu, 30 Jan 1997, DOUGLAS GREENE wrote:

: The 1931 film with Ricardo Cortez isn't too bad, but the 1936 with
: Bette Davis and warren Williams, called SATAN MET A LADY, is
: dreadful.

You think so?  I liked it, but can't really think of it as an
adaptation.  It's related, but it's so different I wouldn't even put
them in the same room.  That probably helps me deal with the fact it
doesn't stand up to the Huston version.

: Not only did Huston stay fairly close to Hammett's original but his
: b&w cinematography keeps the mood.  The colorized version, however,
: is almost as bad as the Davis/Cortez.

Geez, I should have know this would get done.  That's sad.

: But no film version can include Flitcraft.

No.  But I mentioned radio adaptations just a minute ago - I wonder if
an audio play could do it.  I think so.

Bill
--
William Denton : buff@vex.net     <-- Please note new address.