[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: RARA-AVIS: Noir/hardboiled

Dear David (et al) -- your comment:

>"Hardboiled" is a literary form that does not
>really translate well to the screen where only too often it is
>misinterpreted as mere action and fisticuffs.  Spade in _The Maltese
>Falcon_ is hardboiled, as is The Continental Op.

brings up an interesting question (well, I'm hoping it's interesting):
How does Huston's *Maltese Falcon* movie compare to Hammett's novel?  I do
not mean "which is better?" or "does it lose something in the
translation?" I mean, are their tones/moods/styles similar or dissimilar,
and how so?  It would be cool if we could start talking specifics about
different Noir-Boiled texts (not that the generalities aren't
fascinating). Michael

Michael D. Sharp                 "My time-wasting abilities are legendary!
msharp@umich.edu                 If only I could harness them as a force
Department of English            for good!" -- Shaun M. Strohmer
University of Michigan

-
# to majordomo@icomm.ca