[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RARA-AVIS: Michael Collins/Japanese hardboiled fiction

At 01:49 PM 01.27.97 -0500, DOUGLAS GREENE wrote:

>Dark Suspense.  Michael Collins created Dan Fortune, a one-armed PI,
>back in the 50's --Edgar winner for best first novel.  His stories  may not be
>quite tough enough for some
>Rara-Avis people, but they're beautifully written and plotted.

Doug Green, one of the most knowledgeable guys in mysterydom, has mistyped
the decade of Michael Collins' debut.  Michael Collins, aka Dennis Lynds,
got an MWA award for ACT OF FEAR (Dood Mead, 1967) featuring Dan Fortune, a
one-armed PI.  Slot Machine Kelly, prototype of Fortune, debuted in "It's
Whiskey or Dames" (Mike Shayne Mystery Magazine, Aug. 1962).  Collins is
one of the underevaluated fine private eye writers these days.

I am very sorry for not answering sooner.  One of my private eye stories
has already been translated into English, but it is not available in the
US, Canada or France.  I will upload it to my web site some day.  I will
let you know when.

One of Ryo Hara's private eye novel has been translated from Japanese into
French and published in France.  I forgot its French title.  This novel got
a Naoki Award, best entertainment novel of the year several years ago.

I don't know what the term "hardboiled" really means, but I don't like to
use the term "noir" for the same kind of fiction.  I might use the term
"noir" for the Cornell Woolrich films but I don't think Woolrich/Irish
stories/films are hardboiled.  Anyway, it is very interesting that everyone
has a different conception and definition of "hardboiled."  Maybe it is
like love or happiness:  there is no absolute definition.

Jiro Kimura