[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: RARA-AVIS: Working towards a definition of sorts

I don't think the use of "noir" in reference to writing is any more
"arbitrary" than its use in reference to film.  "The French" may have used
the term FIRST to describe a certain kind of American film, but the term
*roman noir* was being used not long thereafter (though as a term it
doesn't have the kind of currency that *film noir* does).  There is of
course the famous French *Serie Noire* in which Himes and others
published.  And since many MANY of the classic *films noirs* are
adaptations of hardboiled stories and novels, finding the "true" origins
of noir seems a little like asking "which came first, the chicken or the
egg?" *Noir* was used critically first to describe film, later writing,
but since the films' thematic origins are In The Writing, *noir* seems a
perfectly appropriate (if general) way of describing much crime fiction.
Michael D. Sharp                       "And trewely he were a greet fool
msharp@umich.edu                       that wolde kisse the mouth of a
Department of English                  brennynge oven or of a fourneys."
University of Michigan                              --The Parson

-
# to majordomo@icomm.ca

Follow-Ups: References:

[Archives] | [RARA-AVIS]