[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: RARA-AVIS: Locale

AnnyMiddon@aol.com wrote:

>I've been thinking about common elements in hardboiled fiction, and found
>myself wondering whether an urban environment is a requirement of the genre.
 >My definition of "urban" would include some suburban locales; it seems to
me
>that suburbs of older cities are often more urban than the heart of newer
>cities.

>But what about small towns, farming communities, backcountry?  To be sure, a
>place like the desert outside Las Vegas is a good spot to get rid of a body
>or hold a "questioning" session without worry about interruptions.  But can
>hardboiled novel take place entirely in a nonurban setting?

>I couldn't think of any examples where it has, but admittedly I'm not that
>well-read in the genre.

Interesting to note that Daniel Woodrell's new book Give Us a Kiss is
subtitled "A Country Noir".

It does not fit the classic definition of noir, in that there is no
detective/PI involved but does have the "loner" hero "rescuing" a situation
in his family's old stomping grounds in backwoods Arkansas/Missouri (I
forget).

The subtitle feels like a marketing "trick" (It made me pick up the book) but
the book itself is well written.
-
# to majordomo@icomm.ca

[Archives] | [RARA-AVIS]