[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: RARA-AVIS: Re: RARA-AVIS-Izzi, Spenser,

Hello, I'm a new participant on this list and it looks like I came to the right place.  James Ellroy is my
favorite author ABSOLUTELY and I'm generally a fan of the hard-boiled line of crime/mystery writing.

In regards to the Eugene Izzi thread and his "slimeball" characters, I noted at least one reply suggesting
that James Ellroy is often accused of the same thing.  Not having read Izzi, I can't generalize about his
work, but it does seem to me that even the worst of Ellroy's characters generally have some redeeming
characteristics, something to balance out their bad qualities.  Even so, I must admit to being hard-pressed
to explain the appeal of an Ellroy book.  I just know that nothing else I've ever read has affected me on
such a basic, even "visceral" level.  When I'm reading Ellroy, I'm caught up in a swirling, pulse-pounding,
nail-biting experience, probably not too dissimilar to the hazy world his characters move through.

Craig Larson
Trinidad, CO

-
# to majordomo@icomm.ca