[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RARA-AVIS: Another new brat on the block

Yes, I am another new brat on the hardboiled block, currently holing up in
the Far East.  I have been reading the so-called hardboiled fiction for a
long time, translating a lot of American hardboiled fiction into Japanese,
reviewing it for the Japanese readership, and writing some in Japanese.
Now, I have opened up my web site, THE GUMSHOE SITE, which is accused of
leaning too much to the hardboiled fiction.

If you are interested in the mysterious death of Eugene Izzi (aka. Nick
Gaitano), you can read it in my  What's New in December page.  He writes--I
mean, he wrote-- more in the vein of Elmore Leonard than in that of Andrew
Vachss.  Not bad but not that great.  He will have his new novel coming out
in May entitled, A MATTER OF HONOR.

I haven't read Mickey Spillane's latest novel, BLACK ALLEY yet, but I am
going to a short story version printed in the December issue of Playboy
magazine, which has not been sold in Japan yet.  Well, I rather want to
read a story by Donald Westlake in that issue.

Speaking of Westlake, he has written a new Parker(!!!) novel, COMEBACK, to
be out from Mysterious Press late this year.  This will be, at least to me,
the biggest hardboiled event of this year.  Westlake (aka. Richard Stark)
has not written a Parker novel for more than 20 years!!!  If you have
forgotten who No-first-name Paker (not to be confused Robert B. Parker) is,
he is the hardboiled robber, best portrayed by Lee Marvin in the movie,
POINT BLANK.  Now, you remember.

Jiro Kimura