[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: RARA-AVIS: Hardboiled

On Wed, 15 Jan 1997 AnnyMiddon@aol.com wrote:

: Then can I assume that Robert Parker's Spenser is not hardboiled
: either?  (I'd pick V.I. over Spenser any day, and probably in the
: first three : rounds.)

Well, he does spend way too much time cooking and babbling about food.
The truly hardboiled, I think, eat in automats and diners.  Weren't
the early Spenser books a lot different from the later ones?  It's
been a while since I read any.  I started with the first few, and
liked them, but then the later ones were really poor.  Did he turn
it around?  Did Spenser get tough?

Parker didn't do a good job of finishing off Chandler's _Poodle
Springs_, but it would have been a tough gig for anyone.

Bill
--
William Denton : buff@vex.net     <-- Please note new address.
Toronto, Canada                   <-- I'm not at io.org any more.