[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RARA-AVIS: B-girls

On Tue, 14 Jan 1997, William Denton wrote:

> Slang time:  what is a "B-girl?"  A woman in a bar who entices men into
> buying more drinks, while she drinks coloured water?  Its she
> necessarily a prostitute?  Would you only find her where prostitutes
> were around?

That's the correct definition; the word is short for "bar girl."  B-girls
are/were often prostitutes (see, for example, the character of Billie the
Kid in Fredric Brown's _The Wench is Dead_), but not necessarily so.

When I was in high school, I worked in the kitchen of a combination
restaurant-bar that was frequented by office-hours drinkers; there were
several intelligent and very nice b-girls on the payroll.  One evening, I
chatted with one at the end of her shift.  She groaned, "I've had so much
ginger ale tonight that my back teeth are floating." :)

Kathy

Katherine Harper
Department of English
Bowling Green State University