[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: RARA-AVIS: Hardboiled

On Mon, 13 Jan 1997 AnnyMiddon@aol.com wrote:

: This may have been answered before, and will doubtless be a FAQ -
: but what is the definition of Hardboiled?  I've been calling Sara
: Paretsky's V. I.  Warshawski books hb for years now.  Am I right in
: doing so?

I don't think so, I'm afraid.  Her stuff is the kind of thing that
passes for hardboiled these days, but I find it pretty soft.  Maybe I
should pick up the latest one and see if she's different, but in terms
of hardness, the V.I. I remember would last about two seconds against
someone out of Ellroy's _White Jazz_[1], and the Continental Op would
roll right over her.

And if anyone says Kinsey Millhone is hardboiled, I'll need a good
stiff shot of whiskey to get level.

Bill

[1] This contradicts what I wrote in my previous mail, in a way.
Ellroy usually centres on three or four main characters, and has a big
cast of supporting characters.  Maybe his novels aren't hardboiled but
noir, if you know what I mean.  His leads qualify individually,
though.

--
William Denton : buff@vex.net     <-- Please note new address.
Toronto, Canada                   <-- I'm not at io.org any more.