[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RARA-AVIS: Shamus

On Mon, 13 Jan 1997, Thompson wrote:

> There's some discussion of this in Rosten's 'Joy of Yiddish' - I think he
> links 'shamus' with (off the top of my head) the Yiddish 'shammes'.

"Shammos" is Yiddish slang for a rough, no-nonsense man, from the
synagogue worker who both keeps the building neat and maintains order at
services.  (The written example in my files is from a 1927 novel by Felix
Riesenberg, _East Side, West Side_: "After all, he was not their kind: a
tough shammos.")  As Ed Thompson mentioned, Leo Rosten goes into the term
in some detail.

Katherine Harper
Department of English
Bowling Green State University