[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RARA-AVIS: French Hard-boiled & noir

Suj :   French hard-boiled & noir
Date :  12/01/97
A : majordomo@icomm.ca

Carl-Michael Edenborg asked :

> I have translated the frenchmen Leo Malet and Jean-Patrick Manchette. What
> about other french hard-boiled? Italian, spanish, german? Mexican, maybe?

Etienne answered :

> There is a lot of other good French authors , like:  A.Simonin, Giovani,
ADG
> just to list some of the early post-war period.

Well I don't read many french authors (shame on me!), but I would like to
recommend the following:
- Leo Malet: La Trilogie Noire (La Vie Est Degueulasse, Le Soleil N'est Pas
Pour Nous, Sueur Aux Tripes), is his real masterpiece IMHO, moreso than
Nestor Burma. More desperate than Goodis!
- Didier Daeninckx: My favorite french author - check out first the
inspecteur Cardin series, published by Gallimard/Serie Noire.
- GJ Arnaud: Has written maybe over 150 books, among which a very good SF
series, a great popular spy series, and many psychological/noir thrillers.
- Emmanuel Errer/Jean Mazarin: Another popular writer, some truly great
stuff, and some less interesting.
- Serge Brussolo : A very prolific writer. Many excellent SF and
noir/thriller novels.
- Maurice G. Dantec: only two books published, but the french sensation of
the '90s already. I haven't read La Sirene Rouge and Les Racines Du Mal (both
published by Gallimard/Serie Noire), but they seem great.

Many south american writers have been published in France in 1996, but I
haven't read them yet either.

Laurent
-
# to majordomo@icomm.ca