[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RARA-AVIS: Donald Henderson Clarke

On Sun, 12 Jan 1997, Joe Kraus wrote:

> I'm at work on a dissertation tracing the way the gangster figure is
> imagined in ethnic terms in the '20s and '30s.  Someone I've done some work
> with is Donald Henderson Clarke, someone I'd describe as a proto-hard-boiled
> writer.  I have some good things on him already, but I'd be interested in
> any stray thoughts or random observations you might have.

I'm a big Clarke fan, or at least of his hard-boiled novels (_Louis
Beretti_, _Confidential_), and would be glad to discuss him here or off
list. If you haven't read his autobiography, _Man of the World_, yet, do
so a.s.a.p.: it gives valuable insight into his creative process and the
people who inspired his characters.

If you read French, or know someone who can translate for you, check out
Jean-Pierre Deloux's "W.R. Burnett et D.H. Clarke: La Loi des Rues" in
_Europe: Revue Litteraire Mensuelle_ (Aug.-Sept. 1984, pp. 52-63)  which
your library should either have or be able to get for you through ILL.

Good luck on your diss.  It sounds like a topic everyone on rara-avis
would enjoy: keep us posted on your progress!

Kathy

Katherine Harper
Department of English
Bowling Green State University