[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RARA-AVIS: DAVIS GOODIS - biography

To complete the thread about  D Goodis:

- Biography written in French by Philippe Garnier: 'La Vie en Noir et Blanc'
(Life in black and white)- still available as paperback:  in '10/18' series-
no 2182 (C Bourgeois Editions)
Garnier did a real top class journalistic investigation outside libraries
and scholarly texts. He contacted the persons that were living with Goodis
or crossed his life significally. Garnier was chasing the man Goodis in this
book, not only the writer.
Detailed, original and well documented (340 pages in paperback format).
There was more than professionalism from Garnier looking at Goodis: a
labour of love...

Goodis is certainly one of the great writers of Noir and
HB  novels-  he cannot be excluded from our list of interest.
Besides his great classic novels about pessimism, fatalism and wasted lives,
there is one I consider amongst his best as well:  DOWN THERE (1956) -
pessimism again, and hard-boiled for a big part of it.

E.Borgers
 http://www.geocities.com/Athens/6384/
Hard-Boiled Mysteries

 Check for WEBORGERS, my website,  at following URL:

   http://www.singnet.com.sg/~etienne/