[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RARA-AVIS: Group Crime Goes Awry (Goodis, *The Burglar*)

On Thu, 9 Jan 1997, Tosh <tosh@pop.loop.com> wrote:

> I just read W.R. Bennett's The Asphalt Jungle and thought it was great!
> am really into heist (sp?)

Hhmm ... there's no 'tick' in the ascii set <g>

> films, and don't know too much about it in its
> literature form.  Can someone recommend other novels that deals with a
> group planning a crime, and then getting messed up during and after the
> robbery.  I also love the films of Melville.  Oh by the way, my name is
> Tosh. Pleasure to meet all of you.
>
> My other favorite authors are Chandler, and David Goodis.  I love GOODIS!

You may already know of the Goodis novel *The Burglar*, which very much
> deals with a  group planning a crime, and then getting messed up during
and after the robbery.

The blurb on the back of my copy reads, 'Harbin was thirty-four and he had
been a burglar for the last eighteen years.  It wasn't much of a life but
it was a living.  Then Harbin met Della, a woman so mesmerising that he
just couldn't say no'.  The blurb doesn't really do the story justice.  A
much better take, IMO, can be found in the marvellous *Pulp Culture* by
Woody Haut (London & NY: Serpent's Tail, 1995).

Eddie Duggan