[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RARA-AVIS: Hey, this doesn't bite!

I just joined a few days ago and am already swamped by all the interesting
messages. Great to see so many fans of hard-boiled fiction.

I'm a writer by profession, currently working in advertising and creating web
sites as fast as I can. One of them is a list of hard-boiled novels located
at http://members.tripod.com/~writer89/. It needs a lot of work, so fire
away. I started it last year, but haven't had time to spend on research
lately.

I, too, first discovered the genre by way of Hammett, then Chandler. That's
when I stopped reading sci-fi exclusively.

I've written three hard-boiled detective novels (Crockett On The Loose,
Perdition Express and Brand of Fear), published in original paperback by
Leisure Books in 1975 and 1976. Out of print and difficult to find. I have no
copies to spare, unfortunately. As for other writers, I can make
recommendations 'til the cows come home, but here's one many of you may not
be aware of: Michael Cormany, author of five novels starring Chicago PI Dan
Kruger, who wins the prize for the most burnt-out hero since You Play The
Black And The Red Comes Up. He's also a friend, currently working as a hotel
clerk and in need of encouragement.

I hope you've all observed a few moments of silence for Gene Izzi. If you
haven't read any of his stuff, do so soon. He was too young to die, but
aren't we all.

Enough blathering. Keep 'em coming.

Brad Lang
-