[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: RARA-AVIS: AF-Am Pulp/Hardboiled writers

Michael Dittman,

Off the top of my head I can think of a few resources that might be
valuable (you may be familiar with some of these):

Woody Haut, Pulp Culture: Hardboiled Fiction and the Cold War (London:
Serpent's Tail, 1996) has a big section on Himes, and is otherwise very
interesting and full of great leads.

Frankie Y. Bailey, Out of the Woodpile: Black Characters in Crime and
Detective Fiction (New York: Greenwood, 1991) focuses on characters (as
the title suggests) rather than authors, but there is some useful
information on Black authors to be found, and it has a good bibliography.

Paula L. Woods, ed., Spooks, Spies, and Private Eyes (N.Y.: Doubleday,
1995) is a GREAT collection of Black Crime Fiction, though the only
critical writing it contains is the editor's short introduction.

I would love to hear how your project is going along, as I am currently
planning my Fall term syllabus and am always eager for leads on
interesting pieces, both fiction and criticism. Best, Michael

Michael D. Sharp                       "I'm a white male, age 18-49.
msharp@umich.edu                       EVERYONE listens to me, no mat-
Department of English                  ter how dumb my suggestions are."
University of Michigan                                  --Homer J. Simpson

-
# to majordomo@icomm.ca