[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RARA-AVIS: Hardboiled slang, and Chicago overcoats

I got some mail yesterday from someone (an alt.folklore.urban reader)
who is trying to nail down "cement shoes" and "Chicago overcoat."  We
all know what cement shoes are - having your feet encased in cement,
which is followed by being dumped in the river.  A Chicago overcoat, I
think, is something pretty similar - maybe being tossed into a big
block of cement and thrown in the river, or being made a part of a
building (as happens in the movie _Robin and the Seven Hoods_, a
Sinatra Rat Pack movie).

Does anyone know a precise meaning for "Chicago overcoat"?  Does
anyone know of any cases of this actually happening?  Has anyone seen
it in any books outside of _The Big Sleep_?

The fellow also wondered about the relationship between the people who
spoke this kind of slang and the writers.  I think there was a lot of
cross-pollination: writers would pick up things from the street, and
hoods wanted to act tough.  (Apparently the gangsters in Russia these
days wear pinstriped suits and look right out of a George Raft movie.)
Has anyone studied hardboiled slang, or read a good look at it?  I'd
be interested in knowing if some of the terms we know now, or think we
know, were actually invented by writers.

On a related note, what's the story behind "gooseberry lay"?  This was
used in _The Maltese Falcon_, I think, and seemed to mean homosexual
activity.  Am I wrong - did it actually mean something fairly
innocuous?  I know there was some discussion about this in
rec.arts.mystery a while back, but in switching Internet providers
I seem to have lost the articles I saved.

Bill
--
William Denton : buff@vex.net     <-- Please note new address.
Toronto, Canada                   <-- I'm not at io.org any more.