[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RARA-AVIS: Introduction

G'day Everyone

I'm a brand-new subscriber to rara-avis, so here goes with the traditional
introduction message:

Basically, I'm a voracious reader, and read everything I can get my hands
on, 3-4 novels a week, every week, for the last 20 years or so. As well as
hardboiled and other crime fiction (see below), this includes science
fiction (William Gibson, Jack Womack, Iain M Banks) and fantasy (Tolkein,
Donaldson, Eddings), horror (Stephen King and Clive Barker) and historical
novels (Colleen McCullough's 'Roman' novels), as well as mainstream and
'literary' novels. I particularly like genre-hopping novels, like William
Gibson's combinations of noirish elements with science fiction.

Definitely on my list of crime and police favourites would be Elmore
Leonard, John D McDonald, Raymond Chandler, Ed McBain, Joseph Wambaugh, and
many others.

As far as the autobiographical stuff, I'm 32, a PhD student in science
education at Curtin University of Technology in Western Australia, married
with two daughters, a Christian....what else do you need to know? The URL
for my home page is in my .sig.

I hope that the list will be broad enough in its focus to encompass my
areas of interest - ie the exciting places where the genre borders break
down - and that it won't be hijacked by purists of any stripe.

Regards,

David

David R Geelan, Curtin Uni of Technology, GPO Box U1987, Perth WA
"You chose your life, as do we all, in a million tiny valuings" - Me
"the boundaries of reality are in fact moveable" - Jurgen Habermas

-
# to majordomo@icomm.ca