[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RARA-AVIS: Re:What is hardboiled? (long)

Hello everybody!

  I'm french, 29, and I think this list is off to a good start. You won't
find any talk about Paul Cain on DorothyL! The short stories in Seven Slayers
could very well serve as a definition of hard-boiled. I remember searching
for Fast One, but couldn't find it. Guess the hunt will begin anew!

  Bill's long defintion was right on the mark. Hard-boiled is more a style
than a (sub-)genre in itself. I must confess that I'm a little unclear on
english sub-genre names (crime fiction, detective fiction,... - though it
seems self-explanatory enough!). In France, the whole mystery genre is called
"policier" or "polar", and there are no specific french terms for the
sub-genres.

  Do you make a difference between "noir" and hard-boiled ? Goodis and
Thompson are "noir", but are they hard-boiled? Maybe some exemples could help
define the term: For instance, what about Gil Brewer, Charles Williams or
even Carol O'Connell ?

PS: Why "Rara-Avis" ?

Laurent Lehmann
-