[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RARA-AVIS: Willeford - The Shark Infested Custard

Bill Denton, in his message  answering Bill Murray's:

 > As to Willeford, I picked
>up _The Shark-Infested Custard_ the other day and finished it last
>night.  Strange book.  It's about four guys in their twenties in
>Miami, in the seventies.  There are four interwoven novellas,
>centering on the different guys, usually involving murder, weird sex
>and some other illegal activities.  It has an unsettling ending. <

Well, a coincidence: I red this novel jeust before Christmas!
As far as I know The Shark Infested Custardl is different from the typical
way Willeford elaborated style and construction (for the second part of his
writer's career  -at least from what I red: the series with Hoke, his bluesy
cop)
To me this [ .... Custard ]one seems like a Jazz quartet playing a ballad
with a turn of solos from the players...
Seems also like all the 4 central characters shift to a parallel world of
their own where murder is a normal way to solve problems.

This novel leaves a taste of unfulfillment as IMO the reader feels
subjectively that everything is set for more development.
Not necessarily to get a "finale" but evrything is there to do more.

IMO not a great novel but certainly an interesting one.

Willeford is definitely hard-boiled, even if this novel is not 100% the
right stuff.

Cheers

E.Borgers

 http://www.geocities.com/Athens/6384/